Friday, March 13, 2015

Emmaline is 9

On the 13 day of March, in Hermitage Tennessee my heart was made fresh when my daughter Emmaline was born. Everyday, even in the darkest of times, her little voice will whisper " I love you daddy ", and all the worlds troubles, if only for a brief moment evaporate. My life would be shallow without her.

 Sometimes we are reluctant in sharing such a statement, thinking that we must love God more than humans, and surly we should. However, it is in the flesh of humanity and especially our progeny that we express our love to God and His is expressed to us. In the daily kindnesses that we show each other, in the giving to meet a need of friends or strangers, or just listening to someone, we show forth his presence in our lives, His imprint.

In His most infinite love toward me, he gifted me with my family, and in a special kindness , Emmaline. She is there  giving the gentlest of kisses to her daddy, when the weight of the universe seems to be stranded on his shoulders. She reminds me on days when I have forgotten, that I have a purpose.  Not a purpose to recite a well held system of theological truths, but to give them away in bed time prayers, comforting words when there are boo boo's on skinned knees, or in enjoying their truths in the wonder of a storm or starry night.

God is not jealous when we cherish His gifts rightly, He is pleased.....Therefore today, March 13, we will celebrate Emmaline's birth and cherish with special flare God's gift, His expression of love to our family, all packaged in the beauty of a little girl.


Cotton Pillow


I gazed upon an angels face
As she rested upon her pillow
Thinking with most covetous eyes
Never one mental frame would I dare share
For there on that cotton resting place
The purest of creamy skin, flowing blond hair
Eyes of clearest blue, opening for just a moment
She dreams of creatures, places, I've long forgotten
The toss of her head from side to side
I am arrested in my heart, thinking she may wake
Resolved in my selfishness,
Knowing this heavenly voyeurism would be over
I find myself casting my voice toward the divine
Hoping to be heard in the only request I have today
  "Please, let this time, these images be suspended forever, to be captivated in safe retreat in my mind."  
   Allow death to come before a thief, as time or decay robs me of what I have witnessed today.
The purposeful image of divine imagination
Resting on a humbled man's cotton pillow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I found you there.... Visiting Carnton Plantation here in Franklin I found the name of a confederate soldier from South Carolin...